Mr. Bernie’s birthday is coming up on Saturday. Last year was his 50th. birthday, so that meant a party during Thanksgiving and big presents. This year, we were so blessed with gifts from the wedding, its hard to know what to get him.
Yesterday, after work, Mr. Bernie dropped me off at the mall so he could go do some manly stuff at Home Depot. Drool over the snow-blowers and beat his chest at other manly items. Buy cat food and other assorted fun items like that.
When he dropped me off, I flew to the Hallmark store, exited about my first Husband birthday card. I had been looking forward to this for a whole week. I practically ran to the cards section to find his card. I tell you have not been this excited about buying a card in years. I stood in front of the cards, gasping after my rush to the store. I scanned the cards and my heart fell. That had about eight cards that said, Husband on them. Eight, I counted them! What kind of cruel joke is this? All my life it seemed as if the Husband card section was brimming full of cards. Those cards spilled into the Boyfriend/Guy I’m With For a While, section. As an unmarried woman Husband cards were everywhere you looked. Now when I actually have a Husband on my own, where are the damn cards??
My goal was to get two, one sweet and mushy and a funny one. At this store I was lucky to find one that I could make work for me. Allow me to share what I had to pick from with these eight cards:
- Husband, you are great with the kids. I debated on this one for a minute, due to our fur kids
- Husband you make my heart sing. I didn’t want to push it for my first card.
- A poor lonely card I didn’t bother to read as it looked so beat up.
- A huge card that cost about a small fortune. I didn’t want the Mr. to complain about that. He would.
- A card with a cute boy and girl on the front with a simple saying. It looked like several of the cards we got for our wedding. I didn’t want him to think that I whited out a wedding card.
- One that looked like it came out of that box of cards everyone’s grandma has lying around.
- A card that talked about being together for a hundred years or so.
Finally, I found one that used the word “Hubby.” It mentioned loving me even when I had PMS, so I snatched that one up. It’s good to give him a reminder from time to time. When I went up to pay for the card, the old troll at the counter was not friendly. I was the only one at the counter, so I couldn’t understand why she was so rushed. I was buying a card with the word husband on it, for the first time. The least she could have done was smile or offer me a glass of champagne. While she was ringing my card up I mentioned the lack of selection in the card section for husbands. She just nodded and said, “Oh, ya were low on those now.” What? It’s a freaking Hallmark store. What is the deal with that? Low on them now? Is there a holiday I might have missed that caused a big rush on cards? A special day to buy Husband birthday cards? I feel so left out. However, I did come up with a card and he had better LOVE it.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving everyone! We are off to Mr. Bernie’s sister’s house for the day. Jell-O pretzel salad. Yum!